3/28/2022 - Employment Opportunity: Seasonal Laborers - Spring & Summer (FT & PT)
Title: SEASONAL LABORER (TEMPORARY) – Spring and Summer
Department: Public Works
Immediate full-time & part-time opportunities
Application: Borough of Somerville Employment Application
This position reports to a supervisor and would regularly work with other personnel. This position includes routine unskilled manual work performing maintenance on public property. Working conditions include outdoor work performed in weather conditions in which the incumbent may be exposed to adverse weather conditions. Indoor work is usually performed under shop conditions in which the incumbent may be subject to some discomfort such as noise, etc.
Candidates for this position must have a High School Diploma or equivalent, and a valid NJ Driver’s License. The incumbent should possess the ability to learn job tasks through on-the-job training with the ability to comprehend and follow oral and written instructions, while being able to perform assigned work tasks in a timely fashion, without direct supervision constantly available. Ability to read, write, understand and communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of the position.
Note: The examples of work for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A particular position using this title may not perform all the duties listed in this specification. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed.
Seasonal DPW Laborer duties include, but are not limited to:
- Perform manual tasks in connection with the maintenance, care, upkeep, repair, marking, and beautification of highways, streets, parking lots and other Borough property such as cutting grass, and grading and rolling of asphalt, gravel, stone and any other material; cleaning, repairing and installation of culverts, catch basins drains and ditches; patching, paving and repair of highways, streets, sidewalks and other Borough property; and general cleaning of roads.
- Sweeps sidewalks and roads; rakes and mows lawns; pick up and haul debris
- Cleans and washes, in connection with the maintenance and operation of the Department of Public Works and related buildings.
- Clean, dust, and wipe furniture; sweep, mop, or vacuum floors; vacuum and shampoo carpets.
- Empty/clean wastebaskets and trash containers; empty/clean cigarette urns
- Replace light bulbs. Wash walls and equipment.
- Move furniture, equipment, supplies and tools on an incidental basis.