1/4/2021 - DEPUTY TAX COLLECTOR – SOMERVILLE BOROUGH, SOMERSET COUNTY Full time position under the direction of the Tax Collector/ Chief Financial Officer
The Borough of Somerville operates with a $22 million current fund budget; 3200 line items and a $3.1million sewer utility budget. Candidates must possess strong interpersonal skills necessary for daily contact with the public and must have experience using Edmunds tax and utility software. Duties include performing work involved in the collecting of property taxes and sewer utility payments, batching and preparation and reconciliation of daily deposits, maintaining monthly reports, quarterly billing, quarterly delinquent notices for both taxes and sewer utility, special assessments, lien redemption and replying to OPRA requests. The successful candidate must be Excel/Word proficient, detail-oriented and a highly motivated self-starter with a strong work ethic. Knowledge of Edmunds Financial Software and Excel required. A full job description is available at www.somervillenj.org Please send cover letter, resume and references to Kevin Sluka, Borough Administrator to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Under direction of the Tax Collector, the Deputy Tax Collector shall perform and be responsible for the following duties:
NOTE: The examples of work for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A particular position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job specification. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed.
DUTIES MAY INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Collect and post-tax and sewer payments;
- Reconcile daily batches;
- Prepare deposits;
- Aid taxpayers with tax related forms from the State;
- Answer telephone, email, and mail inquiries;
- Filing and basic office duties;
- Manage adding and removing Bank Codes;
- Prepare for annual Tax Bill mailing;
- Prepare quarterly delinquent billing
- Post subsequent tax payments to outside liens
- Assist Tax collector with lien redemptions
- Assist Tax Collector with clerical and computer work as it pertains to the preparation of the Tax Sale;
- Assist in projects as they relate to Federal, State, County or Local special requirements;
- Any and all other jobs deemed necessary for the enforcement and collection of taxes;
- Performs other related duties as required by the Tax Collector.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Sufficient speed and accuracy to perform any and all duties as required;
- Must have good mathematical ability;
- Must be capable of responsibly and honestly handling cash transactions;
- Knowledge and ability to utilize computers and software such as Edmunds, MS Office (i.e., Excel, Word, Outlook);
- Ability to function under pressure such as time limitations or intense public interest;
- Good organizational, written & verbal communication skills with the ability to prioritize, multi-task, be self-motivated, detail-oriented and able to function efficiently within a fast paced and sometimes stressful environment;
- Ability to deal effectively and patiently with the general public, other Township employees including management and municipal officials in a pleasant, tactful, professional and efficient manner;
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment with the ability to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships.