The Mission of the Assessor’s Office is to maintain a fair and equitable tax base for the community based on sound assessment practices. Our plan is to treat all property types and owners impartially so as to distribute the tax burden equitably.
The Assessor is responsible for identifying and placing a value on every parcel of land within the confines of the Borough’s borders.
The Assessor’s office is a quasi-judicial position whose statutory authority is based in the New Jersey Constitution. Although an employee of the municipality, the Assessor works under the direction of the Somerset County Board of Taxation.
In February of each year, “Assessment Notification Postcards” are mailed to each property owner as outlined in N.J.S.A. 54:4-38.1. The postcard notification lists the current year’s assessment as well as the process and deadline for filing an appeal. Property owners cannot appeal the amount of taxes they pay, but rather the assessment of the property. Tax Appeals must be filed with the Somerset County Board of Taxation.
Somerset County Tax Board
The Somerset County Tax Board retains assessments and tax maps for all 21 municipalities in Somerset County. The tax board is located at 27 Warren St., 4th floor, Somerville (tel: 908-541-5701.)
State of New Jersey Local Property Tax Forms
The Local Property Tax Forms include the following forms:
- Tax Appeal
- Veterans Deduction
- Senior Citizens Deduction (has income limits)
- Disabled Person Deduction (has income limits)
- Surviving Spouse/Domestic Partner of a Veteran, Senior Citizen, Disabled Person, etc.
- 100% Permanently and Totally Disabled Veterans and Surviving spouses
- Tax Exemption for places of worship, parsonages, cemeteries, hospitals, certain non-profit agencies, and any other entity that may qualify
Tax Rates & Ratios, 2011-2016
(908) 725-2300 ext. 1970
Effective June 1, 2021
Hours: Fridays, 12:20PM - 2:20pm