1/19/2016 - Cold Weather Emergency Information Somerville Office of Emergency Management 1/19/15
With cold temperatures now gripping the region and the threat of the first winter storm of the season, the Somerville Office of Emergency Management urges residents to be prepared. To prepare for a winter storm you should do the following:
- Before the storm approaches, add the following supplies to your emergency kit:
- Rock salt or more environmentally safe products to melt ice on walkways. Visit the Environmental Protection Agency for a complete list of recommended products.
- Sand to improve traction.
- Snow shovels and other snow removal equipment.
- Sufficient heating fuel. You may become isolated in your home and regular fuel sources may be cut off. Store a good supply of dry, seasoned wood for your fireplace or wood-burning stove.
- Adequate clothing and blankets to keep you warm.
- Download FEMA’s Be Smart. Know Your Alerts and Warnings for a summary of notifications at: www.ready.gov/prepare. Free smart phone apps, such as those available from FEMA and the American Red Cross, provide information about finding shelters, providing first aid, and seeking assistance for recovery.
- Bring pets/companion animals inside during winter weather.
Please go to http://www.ready.gov/winter-weather for additional weather-related information.
Steve Weinman, RN, CEN, EMT
Office of Emergency Management
Borough of Somerville
25 West End Avenue
Somerville, New Jersey 08876
908-725-0331 ext. 7322 (office)