On Wednesday, May 22, 2012, the Borough Planning Board hosted a presentation of the impact of Transportation Oriented Development (TOD) on communities such as Somerville.
This presentation was arranged to update Borough decision makers and others interested in the impact TOD will have on the Borough. This detailed information was last presented and worked with during the Visioning sessions in 2006/7.
The presenter Mr. Jon A. Carnegie, AICP/PP, is Executive Director of the Alan M. Voorhees Transportation Center at Rutgers University and an adjunct member of the faculty at the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy at Rutgers.
The Voorhees Transportation Center is a leader in transportation research and education at the national, state and regional level and the nucleus of transportation-related training and education, policy and research at Rutgers University.
· Mr. Carnegie has more than 18 years of experience in the fields of land use and transportation planning
and policy at the municipal, county and regional level.
· He has been or currently serves as the principal investigator for a variety of research and planning
projects involving a range of transportation policy topics.
· His experience includes managing research projects involving transit-oriented development, including;
o the relationship between land use and transportation;
o long-range vision planning;
o transportation capital finance;
o transportation equity;
o driver's licensing;
o workforce transportation options for low-income individuals and persons with disabilities;
o senior mobility; as well as transport security, emergency management and evacuation planning.
· In addition, in 2007, Mr. Carnegie was the lead instructor for six deliveries of the National Transit
Institute's (NTI) Land Use and Transportation course around the United States.
· He also recently led the development of new National Transit Institute's course on transit-oriented and
joint development for the Federal Transit Administration.
Click here for the entire presentation: TOD Presentation May 22, 2012