Municipal Courts of Bridgewater Township and Somerville Borough
The Municipal Court deals with every aspect of a moving violation, parking violation or any petty disorderly person or disorderly person criminal complaint.
Bridgewater Court is in session the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month at 8:30 AM and 10 AM; every Wednesday at 8:30 AM and 10 AM. Somerville sessions are held on alternate Thursdays at 8:30 AM.
What I should expect when I go to court?
- When you get to court, check the bulletin board for your name on the court list and have a seat in the courtroom. Should your name not appear on the list, go to the Violations Bureau window.
- Prior to entering the courtroom, please turn off your cell phones. Cell phones are strictly prohibited in the courtroom.
- The proceedings are sound recorded, so please remain quiet until it is your time to address the court.
- The judge will give an opening statement explaining court procedures, defendants' rights and penalties.
- Cases are called in the following order:
- Pleas of not guilty with an attorney
- Pleas of not guilty without an attorney
- First appearance or guilty pleas
- A case may be postponed to give you time to obtain representation by a private attorney or by the public defender (if you qualify) and prepare your defense.
- If your case involves a dispute between you and another individual, you may be required to participate in a discussion with a mediator in an attempt to resolve your dispute without going in front of the judge.
Information on Traffic Summonses
If you plan to plead not guilty to a traffic summons you must notify the Court of your intention prior to the date at the bottom of the ticket. You will be re-set for court at which time you will be given the opportunity to speak with the prosecutor before going to trial. If you fail to notify the Court, it may be necessary for you to make two court appearances. Only summonses with a checked court appearance will be listed on the court agenda.
If payment is made by mail, do not send cash. Please send a check or money order payable to the municipal court named in the upper right hand corner of your ticket and mail to: 100 Commons Way, Bridgewater, NJ 08807. A payment can also be made at www.njmcdirect.com. Payment is due on or before the date listed on the bottom of the summons. If payment is received after that day, a late fee may be assessed. If you would like a receipt, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope. If your license is suspended as a result of this ticket, the receipt must be taken to Motor Vehicle Commission for reinstatement.
Office hours for payments in person are Monday, Thursday and Friday at 8:30 AM. On court days the payment window opens at 9 AM. The payment window closes at 4 PM. however, we can only accept credit card payments until 3:30 PM.
If you fail to appear in response to a summons or to pay the prescribed penalty, additional penalties may result. A warrant may be issued for your arrest and your driving privileges in New Jersey may be revoked.
If you have any questions regarding the Municipal Court, you may contact the Court Administrator by phone at 908-725-6375 or by e-mail at Audrey.Lipinski@njcourts.gov
100 Commons Way
Bridgewater, NJ 08807
William T. Kelleher, Jr., Presiding Judge
Audrey Lipinski, Court Administrator
Phone: (908) 725-6375
Fax: (908) 704-9208