Office of Emergency Management
The Office of Emergency Management (OEM) is responsible for the coordination of activities within the Borough of Somerville during potential or actual emergencies and/or disasters. The Emergency Management Coordinator works in collaboration with the Emergency Management Committee (EMC) appointed by the Mayor, which includes representatives from the Somerville Police Department, Somerville Fire Department, Somerville Rescue Squad, Borough Administrator's Office, and Public Works, as well as other community-based stakeholders and subject matter experts. In the event of a declared state of emergency, the EMC operates the Borough’s Emergency Operations Center, assuring emergency response, community safety, and hazard mitigation.
Pursuant to New Jersey State Law, every municipality must have an Emergency Management Committee appointed each year. This committee is responsible for assuring that a comprehensive plan is in place to respond to, and mitigate, the various types of natural disasters that may occur.
The Somerville OEM will ensure, through coordination and collaboration with county and local stakeholders, that the borough is:
- Properly prepared for all natural and man-made emergencies and disasters that threatens our community
- Providing education to our residents and businesses on how to properly prepare for emergencies and disasters
- Providing leadership and support to reduce the loss of life and property through an all-hazards emergency management program of mitigation, preparedness, response, and recovery.
2021 Emergency Management Committee (EMC)
- Steve Weinman, Emergency Management Coordinator
- Mike Halperin, First Deputy Emergency Management Coordinator
- Dennis Manning, Police Chief, Deputy Coordinator
- Brian Iselin, Fire Chief, Deputy Coordinator
- Michael Lapotasky, EMS/Rescue Chief, Deputy Coordinator
- Ken Utter, Deputy Coordinator
- Dennis Sullivan, Mayor
- Rodney Hadley, Public Works Manager
- Pat Mannion, CERT Coordinator
- Councilman Gran Brady, Liaison
Additional OEM Documents
Listing files in 'Office of Emergency Management '
The following forms can be completed, signed and e-mailed directly to the Office of Emergency Management
Emergency Action Plan (EAP)
Bleeding Control (B-Con) Basic Course
Click on any of the banners below to visit any of these important sites.
Emergency Management Coordinator
(908) 725-0331 ext. 7322
Granville Brady, Borough Council Liaison